Central School Pool
The Central School pool no longer exists, the school closed at the end of 1971 and the land where the pool stood is now a residential site. The pool was located on Campbell Street, opposite the Central School back gate.
This photograph taken in 1945, it was just a year after the pool was opened. Spot the Bella Street Pumphouse top right.
The baths were officially opened 8 March 1944, by Mr Burns from the Auckland Education Board. Mr R M Rhodes from the School Committee explained that large numbers of men had willingly worked over many weekends turning a unsightly section into a valuable asset for the school. Rhodes went on to say "The pool was purely a learners' pool...here the young children could learn to swim with safety." The total cost of the pool was 360 Pounds, and was opened debt free. The money for the pool was raised by the school committee and local businessmen; plus they received a 50% subsidy from the Ministry of Education.
Above: 1947 view of the Central School.
The baths are centre left, opposite the trees at the back of the Central Schoolyard.