The photo below reads: THE LAST OF AN OLD LANDMARK IN THE MINING TOWN OF THAMES: THE OLD BREWERY CHIMNEY IN THE ACT OF FALLING.
The brewery was formally the property of the late Mr Ehrenfried, of the firm Campbell and Ehrenfried. Many years ago it was destroyed by fire, but the chimney remained standing. Lately the bowling club acquired the site, hence the demolition of the chimney.
|Auckland Weekly News 15 December 1921 p034 |
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19211215-34-3
Details of the 1887 Brewery fire can be found in Thames Star 15th March 1887 at Paperspast