On the North-eastern intersect of Burke Street and Beach Road/Tararu Road, now (and for many years) has been an extension of the foundry. A past business on the site was Hawkes stable and carting business.
The above scene shows a horse and cart travelling east along Burke Street from the wharf. On the left is Hawkes' Livery Stable and on the right A & G Price Ltd. Proceeding along the road and can be seen the sign "Governor B[owen Hotel]. This is in Owen Street, at the back of the foundry.
James Hawkes is in the Thames Street Directories at Burke Street during the 1890s-early 1900s.
In the distance are the houses on the Waiotahi spur/creek, along with the mining operations. At this time the Golden Crown Mine and later the Waiotahi Mine. To the upper left of the livery stables can be seen the large overhead flume coming from up the Waiotahi.
Below is the full photo. The hive of activity clearly shown via the large plumes of smoke from the foundry's many chimneys.
|Caption: View of Moanataiari, Thames from the Goods Wharf. Price, William Archer, 1866-1948 :Collection of post card negatives. Ref: 1/2-001545-G. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22753426|
Further information available:
At The Treasury: see pre 1930 Business Register, Electoral Rolls and Street Directories