Friday, September 1, 2017

Thames (NZ): 150 Event - Read Bros Hardware

Read Bros has been at the Thames since just after the Goldfield opened. The name of the business as varied slightly, as five generations of Read's have run the family business.

Started in 1867 by John Read in Brown Street (Grahamstown), he was a timber merchant and ironmonger. The timber yard was just south of the Pacific Hotel and Academy of Music that were located on the south-west corner of Albert and Brown Streets. Today this is part of Victoria Park South.

The business expanded and Read opened a second yard at the south end of Pollen Street, Thames. Sons Charles and Arthur Read took over the businesses when their father died. After WWII Alan Read entered the family business, followed by his son Stuart Read in 1972. "In 2003 John, named after his great grandfather, became the 5th generation Read to enter the family business."
(Hauraki Herald 1 September 2017)
ABOVE: View along Owen Street to Brown Street. Read's Timber Yard marked by the cross.
The 'Then & Now' view below is from the 1950s & 2017. The 1950s was view taken when the Exchange Hotel was situated to the north of Read Bros. Hardware Store in Pollen Street (between Richmond and Willoughby Streets).

On 2nd September 2017, Read Bros is celebrating 150 years of trading with an open day. Activities planned include: gold panning, a vintage cars display, a blacksmith forge, a history display, plus instore prizes and giveaways. The store also has 150th memorabilia for sale for collectors.
 
-------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE - Photos of 'open day' at Read Bros 2 September 2017
 

  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment