Over the years several people have asked the origins of the Palms at the south end of town. The 1940s saw a need in the town to improve the image and the economic viability of the town. From the time when gold resources proved difficult to mine in the 1870s, nothing really changed over the years. What new industries can we attract, how can we make the town more attractive to investors and settlers. Reclamation was always popular along with the need to beautify the old mining town of Thames.
|Looking south towards Toyota and the Kauaeranga Bridge 2010s|
In September 1944, the town was emerging from many of the effects of the war, some of their 'boys' were returning home from war duties and the town set about making improvements. The Thames Star 28th September 1944, stated "It has been suggested that it include the clearing of all the mangroves near the [Kauaeranga] bridge, the filling in of land and the planting of palms at intervals on the railway reserve on one side, between the trees already there."
The plan was soon implemented as the 1947 photo shows below. Above you can see the trees as they are today.
|Looking South towards the Kauaeranga River - on the right some land has been reclaimed and some tree plantings can be seen|
Part of a V C Browne photograph 1947