Visiting the Shortland Wharf today and the southern side has a large historic landmark sign. A wonderful addition - keep the eyes open for more about the town.
The sign reads:
Shortland Wharf is the oldest and only surviving wharf erected to service Thames after the proclamation of the Goldfield in August 1867. It replaced the beach landing that had been used since the early timber and produce trading days of the 1830s, ‘40s and ‘50s. In close proximity to Kauaeranga Pa, the wharf was built in 1868 by the Auckland Provincial Council.
Given the pre-eminence that Grahamstown quickly achieved over Shortland, this wharf was soon overshadowed by Burke Street Wharf to the north. Consequently the Shortland Wharf primarily serviced the local fishing fleet, as it does today. The wharf handled cargo ships until 1963 and in the mid-20th Century was also the base of E M Harvey, boat builder.