A memory of the grandeur that once was Brown Street, can be seen in the 1930 photograph below. The remnants of Grahamstown stood for many years until buildings were destroyed by fire or man, as many buildings were empty and abandoned.
June 1930, "A two-storied wooden building of ten rooms in Brown Street was gutted by fire on Saturday afternoon. The brigade saved adjoining premises, which were undamaged. The place was unoccupied and uninsured, and the cause of the fire is unknown. The building was owned by J Crocker, bootmaker." Evening Post 30 June 1930
Below is a photo looking down Albert Street, the arrow marks the intersection with Brown Street. There are two storied buildings, lining Brown Street north and south. In the 1902 Street Directory, Croker's bootmaker premises were to the right of the arrow (between Albert and Williamson Street, two doors north of the then Lady Bowen Hotel.)
|Thames Star 24 December 1903|