By 1909 the remainder of the flat area was fully settled, and slowly the hill areas were being settled. No doubt the delay for many was the obtaining of a suitable land lease to allow for a more permanent habitation.
The Auckland Weekly News 30 September 1909, featured a view over the town. (see below)
Source: Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, AWNS-19090930-9-3
|Above: Mount Pleasant centre left. Running lower left to top right is Hape Road, Hill Street running along the lower portion of the photograph.|
Below: Sealey Street runs from lower centre to the sea, with the Karaka Valley far right and Irishtown.
|Above: 1909 Full view looking down over the old Block 27 and Shortland Town of Thames.|
Below: 1980s postcard of the view from Una Hill.