Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thames (NZ): Block 27 update

Past information on this part of the old Thames Goldfield, shows it was originally an area for the miners' camp. Below is an early view of Block 27 from the Una Hill, looking down towards Shortland Landing/Wharf.
Source: NZ Graphic, 30 April 1904, p32
'Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, NZG-19040430-32-1
It is interesting that the description reads: "showing a portion of Murphy's Hill" - normally we associated that more with the Franklyn Street area, but could this mean that it is the hill west of present day Sandes Street (at the base of Franklyn Street).

Over to the top left you can see what was known as the Mt Pleasant area and the Hape Road running along on the flatter ground. The other road running across the middle to the Una Hill, should be Richmond Street. Unless anyone else sees some alternative...leaving Hill Street running along the base of the hill, where many of us have early Thamesite families living.

For further information:
Maps and street directories at The Treasury and Thames Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment