Saturday, January 1, 2011

THAMES CHURCHES

Over the next weeks the Churches of early Thames will be discussed.

Some preliminary notes are available here
These include: St James Presbyterian Church, St George's Anglican Church, Catholic Church

Other Churches were:
WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH
1868 Willoughby Street, Shortland – first Wesleyan Church, opened by Rev G S HARPER
1869 Rev James BULLER Minister, same year another building built at Grahamstown
1885 the two churches amalgamated to Corner Mary & Pollen Street
Early Ministers: Rev E BEST, Rev D J MURRAY
Regular congregations of 400, average Sunday School attendance of 300. Other services held at Omahu, Puriri, Kopu and Waiomo

PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHURCH
Situated at Mackay Street. Seated 280 people, 200 children on Sunday School roll.
Rev Edward DRAKE in charge

THAMES BAPTIST CHURCH
Church meetings first held late 1867 after goldfields opened 9th May 1869 new church corner Willoughby and Baillie Streets opened for worship – seated 200 people.  Rev S WILSON first Minister of the church
1889 the Baptist and Congregational churches united, ministered by Rev W R WOOLEY
1899 Minister in charge was Rev Arthur DEWDNEY

CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
Oct 1871 first service held in a schoolroom, first pastor was Rev B C BUTLAND
Church built with seating for 300, which was destroyed in a large fire 1876. Other denominations made donations to have church rebuilt at Mary Street
Early Ministers: Rev R LAISHLEY, Rev T ADAMS, Rev B L LOMAS, Rev E HAMDEN-COOK, Rev W R WOOLLEY

SALVATION ARMY
Founded in 1884, in Pollen Street. Building could seat 500 plus a junior soldiers area that seated 150
Congregation about 90 in 1900.

St George's Anglican Church, Thames

No comments:

Post a Comment