SUMMARY FULL PHOTO Description: Grahamstown.
Historical notes given:
Note on back of file print reads: "Grahamstown, Thames. Pollen Street in bottom-left corner. Large building was erected about 1880 and used from 1903 to present (1977) as Allan Adams Ltd Clothing factory. On right are post office and courthouse, Queen Street. Top-right is Wesleyan Church (now site of School of Mines Museum) with Holdship's Wharf. Chimney of Holdship's Timber mill to left of church. On extreme mid-left, building may be Cornwall Arms Hotel, with church-like building behind it the Masonic Lodge (and library). On left is Karaka Creek. As Wesleyan Church was shifted in 1885, and Clothing Factory was built in 1880, photograph was evidently taken between those dates, possibly 1884."
Ellings, E E (Mr), fl 1976 :Photographs of Thames. Ref: 1/2-065412-F. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/23108187
SPYGLASS ON HOUSING:
Take a look at the houses - look at the different styles. Many are just the typical Thames miner's cottage. Two windows and front door; as money allowed you will see little extensions on the back. Scattered in the Davy/Queen Streets area are more substantial villa structures - the bones of many still exist today. The washing is drying nicely! While the fire is going - wonder what's for tea?