The photo below was taken in 1875, and looks down from the side of Sealey Street onto Rolleston Street. Note the large number of shops, plus there are some on the side nearest the camera. The hospital is further to the right and the St George's Church can be seen to the right of centre.
|1875 circa. View over Rolleston Street|
Source: Thames Hospital Pictorial CD, Waikato Hospital Board Collection
|Overlooking Thames. View of Thames from Bird In Hand Hill looking south down Rolleston Street, circa 1900. The church steeple and roof of St George's Church (Anglican), Mackay Street, can be seen on the right. The hospital is in the middle foreground. |
Price, William Archer, 1866-1948 :Collection of post card negatives. Ref: 1/2-001540-G. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/23069788
The enlargement below shows the Rolleston Street shops as they still existed c1900. From the 1898 Auckland Directory for Thames we know who owned the shops and or residences. Starting from the left at Sealey Street intersect and coming back to Mary Street intersect the shops were:
R BATEMAN (Butcher), Francis SIMPSON (Dealer), William HOSKING (Grocer), Mrs SCHMIDT (School Teacher), Mrs SINCOCK, G MACAULAY (Baker), MRs RAYNER (Fruiterer), W H SMITH (Miner), Archibald CURRIE (Bootmaker), William DEEBLE (Grocer & Butcher) and Wm MORRISON (Post Office Hotel)