Auckland sharebrokers came to Thames soon after the goldfield opened - during a time of massive speculation and hope, as to the prospects of the goldfield. Men were combining their 'rights' to form groups which were then able to mine bigger areas. In 1869 it was agreed to setup a Thames Stock Exchange.
Over the years there were numerous sharebrokers, many also operated as auctioneers or land dealers. Known sharebrokers at The Thames were: ARMSTRONG & CO; BAGGOTT James; BOOTH Walter; BUTTLE G A; CLARK & DEAN, DAYKIN Bridget; DEAN & CO; FLETCHER G; FRATER Bros; FRYER B C; GELLION D R, GUDGEON & CO; HASKINS & ASHMORE; HENNELLY M; HUDSON John, HULL Thomas T; HUNTER & CO; KILGOUR Richard; MCDONALD SCOTT R; MCGINLEY & CLARK; MELHOSE Louis Rudolph Wilhelm; NEWMAN T W; SALMON H; SAUNDERS Alex; SPENCER & CO; SPRATT R; STYAK William Sylvester; SULLY Walter; SULLY & WARDELL; TURTLE Samuel; WARD & GELLION; WARDELL Francis Joseph; WHITFORD J L; and WICKHAM John Dickson.
Yes there were even women who were share-brokers! Mrs Bridget DAYKIN had thousands of shares, was a Mining Company Director and also involved with the Thames Exchange. With regard to who purchased shares, Rosemary Killip, in her book "To Find A Fortune," notes that many women bought shares. They were from all walks of life: servants, barmaids, married and single women. Even "Reverend Lush purchased shares for his daughter, Blanche Hawkins Lush, as her 'pin' money."
The photo on the right, shows 'Scrip Corner' on the right. Looking down the road is the old Lady Bowen Hotel (aka Park Hotel and Wharf Hotel) on the left, further down on the right the Lady Bowen Hotel (name later transferred to Park Hotel) and in the distance the Royal Hotel at the corner of Williamson Street.