Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Thames (NZ): Then & Now Pollen Street by Walter Street

Pahau Street formed the boundary for the Thames Goldfield towns of Shortland and Grahamstown. The photo below is taken just south of the Pahau and Pollen Street intersects, outside the St James' Presbyterian Church.
View looking down Pollen Street with William Taylor's family butcher shop in the foreground on the left. Next door is James Renshaw, ironmonger. A chemist's shop is a little further down the street. The other retail premises can not be identified. A group of boys are standing on the pavement looking at the photographer, William A Price. Taken ca 1900.
Source: 1/2-001553-G. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. http://natlib.govt.nz/records/22822539
Looking south down Pollen Street, from the Karaka Creek (which runs under the street).
W Taylor's butcher shop is now the site of the Golden Dragon Restaurant, adjacent to the Karaka Creek Stream. Next south on the left in the WINZ offices then the two storied building is Whitehead's old shoe shop. Directly opposite on the right is Walter Street that heads to the sea, across Queen Street.

Major flood protection works has been completed over the years on the Karaka Creek, which in the past frequently flooded from the hospital to the seashore. The photo below is taken in 1917,  next to Taylor's butcher shop now the Golden Dragon Takeaways. (Thanks to Lloyd for the photo)

2008 view of the Karaka Creek, note the large channel that has been built as part of the flood protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment