|View of Chief Taipari’s House & Grounds. |
From the album: Views of the Thames Gold Fields; American Photographic Company
Source: Te Papa Tongarewa, Museum of New Zealand Collection
Another view also shows that the Una Hill is relatively untouched from mining, so this in fact makes the photo 1868 before the houses were built. The Daily Southern Cross newspaper holds the answer concerning the house - Chief Taipari had built a home on the hill and then in the early part of 1869, had it replaced with a larger house. This then is the house we recognise in later photographs, and was at the site into the 1950s.
Part of the report on the new (2nd house) appears in Daily Southern Cross, 19 April 1869:
Full report at: Daily Southern Cross, Volume XXV, Issue 3666, 19 April 1869, Page 4