DESIGN: Thames (Shortland and Grahamstown) had the very distinctive red pillar boxes, that were used at several other locations in New Zealand. Thames residents had suggested the design that they had seen in Australia. "Based on the French design they 'had three vertical apertures placed near the top of the receiver, which was the height that a person on horseback could post a letter, without having to dismount."(1) It is believed that the Thames boxes were designed and made based on the British model by J H Penfold. The Queen Street box has the maker's name as BUBB & SON, Victoria Foundry, Sydney.
LOCATION: Over the years Thames had more than the three boxes that remain today. They were located at places such as: Owen Street, Mary Street, Willoughby Street, Shortland Railway Station, Fenton Street, Richmond Street, Kuranui, Tararu. The Pillar Boxes are mentioned in Thames newspapers from about 1880, and were occasionally moved to different locations.
In 1881 the one at the corner of Albert and Brown Streets was moved to corner Mary and Pollen Streets on 7th February1881. (notice right)
In the Thames Star 17 February 1894, there is an advertisement concerning mail clearance that names the pillar letter receivers at Shortland as being at: Rolleston, Willoughby and Mary streets. The Rolleston Street one was on the south corner of Richmond Street and had been erected September 1878. (Thames Star 13/9/1878)
PRESENT DAY: Today three Red Pillar (Post) Boxes are in Thames and they have a Historic Place’s rating of Category 2. Their historic register numbers are: 717 (Pollen Street), 7242 (Cnr Mary & Pollen Streets) and 7244 (Queen Street). All these boxes have been moved over the years.
Below left is the one by the Salvation Army Hall, at the Grahamstown end of Pollen Street. This was previously located on Willoughby Street, near the Pollen Street intersect - some will remember as Coakley's corner, with Coakley's Grocery Store on the north-east intersect.