Thursday, June 21, 2018

Thames (NZ): Update on the Toss Hammond Photograph Collection

Following on from yesterdays article on the Hammond Collection of photographs at the Auckland War Memorial Museum, there appears to be an easier way to locate the entire collection!

The photographs are contained in Albums and the contents can be seen by searching the individual album.  The photographs are not only of Thames, but include family outings and trips to places such as Rotorua. They include iwi from several areas other than just Thames/Hauraki.

TOTARA POINT 1898
[Totara Point, Thames],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, photographer,ca.
1898,PH-ALB-357-3-P6-1

ALBUM THREE PH-ALB-357-3: CLICK HERE - scroll to Catalogue/Contains and then view all.
MAORI CAMP by Waiomu Creek 1903
[Ratira camp by Waiomo Creek],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967,
photographer,ca. 1903,PH-ALB-357-3-P12-1

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Thames (NZ): Another great photographer - Toss Hammond

An old  Thamesite who is considered to have been one of the authorities on Thames history is without question Mr T.W.G.H. (Toss) Hammond MBE. While most of us have only seen just a small amount of his research collection, the Auckland War Memorial Library holds boxes of treasures. Thanks to their digitisation programme, a new facet of Hammond's research is able to be viewed via the Internet.

Mr Hammond was a prolific photographer, and now we can see a growing selection via the online catalogue. Here are a few that are available as at 20 June 2018.

View from Irishtown 1906. The view is looking along Campbell Street, the Waiokaraka School is centre left. The Burke Street Wharf in the distance.
[Thames from Irishtown],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, photographer,ca. 1906,PH-ALB-357-4-P30-1
 Waiomu 1906. Looking north, back along the coast to Thames. Present day Waiomu Domain on the right.
Waiomu,Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, photographer,ca. 1906,PH-ALB-357-4-P36-1
Thames 1917 Flood - Mackay Street. Where is the photo exactly taken, Could that be the old Lush residence in the distance at the corner of Mackay and Mary Streets?
[Children and unidentified man on Mackay St. after the flood in 1917],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, photographer,ca. 1917,PH-ALB-357-4-P32-1
May Queen Mine. View down Waiokaraka Valley, towards Mackay Street and Pollen Street. St James Church far left.
[May Queen Mine - Thames],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, photographer,1900's,PH-ALB-357-4-P29-1
Moanataiari - Caledonia Mine 1906. View down the Moanataiari Valley towards the foreshore, now the reclaimed land known as the Moanataiari.
[Caledonian Mine - Kuranui/Moanataiari],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, photographer,ca. 1906,PH-ALB-357-4-P31-1
Loo Autridge gathering Mussels 1905.
[Loo Autridge gathering mussels on the Thames coast],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, photographer,1905 - 1906,PH-ALB-357-1-P15-1
Cattle on Thornton Bay Beach 1909.
[Cattle on Thornton's Bay beach],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, photographer,ca. 1899 - 1909,PH-ALB-357-4-P17-1
Shortland Wharf.
[Shortland Wharf - Thames],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, compiler,ca. 1898,PH-ALB-357-10-P2-1
Fishing Rocks, Tararu 1898.
[Man sitting on the rocks - Tararu],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, photographer,ca. 1898,PH-ALB-357-3-P14-1
Kauaeranga River  - Davies Cows Crossing 1898.
[Davie's Cows crossing the river - Kauaeranga],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, photographer,ca. 1898,PH-ALB-357-3-P8-1
R R McGREGOR and J B MASON at the Shortland Wharf. The fishing nets are being dried on the left.
[R.R. McGregor and J.B Mason],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, compiler,1900's,PH-ALB-357-10-P1-1
Tararu from Rocky Point 1898. This is my new favourite!! This must be the side of the Cemetery entrance on the left and Tararu Point as we know it in the distance.
Tararu from Rocky Point - 1898,Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, photographer,ca. 1898,PH-ALB-357-3-P10-1
Cadet Camp Omahu.
[Paeroa Squad, Cadet Camp - Omahu],Hammond, Thomas William George Howard, 1868-1967, photographer,ca. 1909,PH-ALB-357-4-P6-1
OTHER PHOTOGRAPHS:
There are many more including a series on the carvings in the Hotunui Meeting house. As well as photos of Eruiti Wetea (Ngati Maru) and numerous photographs of local iwi which require copyright clearance to save and copy.

We look forward to more photographs coming online from the wonderful collection at the Auckland War Memorial Museum.

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Thames (NZ): Photographer Henry Albert Frith at The Thames

There has been a long list of photographers who have recorded an invaluable photographic history of the Thames Goldfield. A topic that should definitely be explored in greater depth, but for now the focus is on Henry Albert Frith.

A trip to the Thames Library today was timely, because there was a magnificent new book entitled "Snips & Snaps" by Noel Tozer.

Carsons Bookshop in Thames has an overview of the book:
In the early nineteenth century, likenesses in profile, or silhouettes, sometimes delicately highlighted in gold were all ordinary folk could afford. The Frith family, John, his three children, Frederick, Henry Albert, and Letitia, travelled the British Isles inviting the "gentry and residents" to sit for these "highly finished" portraits. This art form was overtaken by the camera and photographic portraiture. The younger Friths emigrated to Australia and New Zealand where they adapted to this new medium with the same skills, producing a record of nineteenth century Tasmania, Victoria and New Zealand and their peoples, both indigenous and the newly settled. This is the story of that transition.

The book "Snips & Snaps" features part of a chapter on Thames - Chapter 8 Henry Albert in Thames and Auckland. Author Tozer gives a concise overview of life on the Thames Goldfield and the mining history. He notes that Frith was in Dunedin in 1867, and had arrived in Thames by 1869, where he remained for ten years. 

"From this period, he has left a remarkable record of Thames, the goldfields, its surroundings and its people both the indigenous and the miners, and the surprise is that so many of his photographs have survived to this day, which is probably the result of Thames being a relatively small town." Tozer page 247.

Frith changed premises several times, to various locations in Pollen Street.
In the 1870 Thames Directory, Frith is located north of the Brian Boru Hotel in the block between Richmond and Sealey Streets.
Thames Directory 1870




THAMES ADVERTISER, VOL VIII, ISSUE 2239, 1 JANUARY 1876

While he ventured around the town taking photographs of landscape and mining matters - he was also renown for his studio work. Photographs of the local iwi made up a lot of his business, and these cards could be purchased and sent around the world.

In the book are several high quality images from private collections, many will be familiar to researchers who have previously only seen poor reproductions in early Thames history books. Several though are unique, including this view of life at The Thames. On the right is a photograph from Page 251, of a Miner's Cottage c 1870. Giving a glimpse of life at Thames. Typical cottages, with the central door and rooms off a central hall. Fencing is important and in many cases not just for staking ones claim to land but also to keep roaming goats and pigs out! Note the washing blowing on the line further up the hill. Frith advertised that you could have your house taken to order, perhaps this is why the ladies are posed outside the one above?

In 1878, Frith left Thames and headed to Auckland, no doubt pushed by the economic slump on the goldfield and brighter prospects over the gulf at Auckland.
THAMES ADVERTISER, VOLUME XI, ISSUE 2861, 18 FEBRUARY 1878
Frith's Photographs - The following are a sample of the photographs by Mr Frith that are available in New Zealand online collections.

Sir George Grey Special Collections,
Auckland Libraries, 589-23
 
                       Sir George Grey Special Collections, 
                             Auckland Libraries, 589-126

View of Grahamstown
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 7-A11191

View of Bird-in-Hand Hill
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 7-A11191

==========================================================================

UPDATE 20/6/2018
Thanks to Kae for finding another wonderful example of a Frith card at Te Papa.
It is of Chief Wirope Hoterene Taipari, and has some hand colouring. A stunning cabinet card c1870. "Studio portrait of the chief Wirope Hotereni Taipari, son of the Hauraki chief Te Hauauru Hotereni Taipari. Wirope's father became one of the principal regional tribal leaders among the powerful Hauraki tribes in his lifetime. A role that Wirope inherited when his father died in 1880." Te Papa Tongarewa, Museum of New Zealand.

Monday, June 11, 2018

Thames (NZ): Dickson Park Motor Camp c1990

A postcard that I have just found, is of Dickson Motor Camp around 1990. Maybe you stayed at the camp around this time and can tell us more about your stay and the facilities.

What can we see? The camp manager's house far left, then four cabins (brown buildings). Looks like ablution blocks at the top of the picture, with perhaps more cabins to the centre right. The building lower right, query is that camp kitchen or more cabins? Lower left the camp swimming pool and recreation area.

Google maps Current View

Previous articles on the camp cover the history of the area:

Also:

Friday, June 8, 2018

Thames (NZ): Aerial postcard

Aerial photographs provide us with a snapshot of the town and in particular a chance to see the changes that have occurred. Glance at the postcard above and start to identify the following: Streets, buildings that have now gone, areas that have changed. What year was the photograph taken?

STREETS: From left to right running vertically we have Queen, Pollen, Mackay, Rolleston and Sandes Street. Lower left, the south end of Baillie Street can clearly be seen with a line of trees adjacent to the St Francis School grounds.

BUILDINGS: Lower left the large Campbell Industries property can be see, with the long gone Warwick Arms Hotel in the left corner. The St Francis School still has the old school block at the corner of Mackay and Willoughby Street, along with the St Brigid's Hall. In the centre is the Thames High School, the Gymnasium is there, along with the old A Block. Check out South School, lower centre, and you will see the old infant block on Grey Street. (see lower photo)

RECLAMATION LAND: On the far left, reclaimed areas are relatively undeveloped, except for the Moanataiari near the upper part of the photograph. The present Goldfield Shopping area is still bare land. (marked 1 below) Don't get me started on the mangroves, or rather the lack of them!

ABOVE: 2. Warwick Arms Hotel (corner Pollen and Grey Streets). 3. St Francis School and St Brigid's Hall.  4. South School Infant Block.

When was the photograph taken? The High School Gym opened in 1973, Goldfields Mall in 1989. The Warwick Arms Hotel was demolished in the late 1970s. The Catholic School Block was demolished in 1986. One telling demolition is the old Thames South School Block, this was carried out in 1975. This last event allows us to say the photograph was taken between 1974 to 1975.

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Thames (NZ): Grahamstown revisited

A further look at some of the latest releases at Auckland Libraries 'Sir George Grey Collection'. The photograph taken c1870.

While the views may have been seen before, the quality of the photographs make them worthy of another look.  The road directly in the foreground is Pollen Street, while the one running lower left to the sea is Albert Street. The street runs right to the first major wharf, usually known as Curtis' Wharf. 

Top right you have the enormous Pacific Hotel, and on the north side of Albert Street the Wharf Hotel - later known as Park, then lastly traded as the Lady Bowen Hotel.

Top left is a glimpse at the Wesleyan Church at the end of Cochrane Street and then the Holdship Timber Wharf.  Just a glimpse at the busy business district that surrounded Albert and Brown Streets.
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 536-Album-285-6-1
The view below looks south, from further along Pollen Street. Spot the Pacific Hotel to get your bearings and identify the intersection of Brown and Albert Streets. The lower right corner is the intersection of Pollen and Williamson Street. The roads are so clearly marked, nothing more than dirt, packed hard until the next rain storm which turned them promptly to mudpools.
Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 536-Album-285-4-1

Look now to the photograph below and, use the landmarks above to understand the location. See the two houses with the verandahs (above centre right and find them in the photograph below. They are centre left).  The road on the right leads from Golden Crown Street, up to Owen Street and then to Brown Street in the distance. The town of Graham's Town aka Grahamstown is the bustling metropolis of the goldfields.  What an amazing goldfield town, that in 1873 would become part of the Borough of Thames.

Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, 536-Album-285-21-1

Monday, June 4, 2018

Thames (NZ): Popeye's Corner, Whakatete Bay.

Lost Landmarks are something we often remark on. Without doubt one of the most popular and loved landmark of recent times was the Popeye figure that was in the house-window at the north corner of Whakatete Bay, Thames Coast.

The 'Popeye' character that stood in the window of Mr Wood's house for many decades.
Photo courtesy of the Doug Campbell Collection.
In the last year for instance, whenever there is a flood, people ask, "What's it like at Popeye's Corner?" Sadly this corner takes a battering and it is not uncommon for the sea surges to cover the road.

On a happier note, children (now adults) recall that a trip down the coast was never complete without a glimpse at "Popeye" waving in the window, and if you were really lucky the owner would also be present beside the cartoon icon!

Times change, the ownership has changed and all signs of 'Popeye' are gone, but the name and memories remain!

BACKGROUND:
Mr Milton Wood, standing outside his house at Whakatete Bay.
The man behind 'Popeye" was Mr (Lewis) Milton Wood, the son of Claremont (Clarry) Africa Wood, and grandson of William Wood, an early shopkeeper on the Thames Goldfield.

Milton attended Tararu School for a short while, before leaving for Auckland in 1902. He was a soldier in World War One (#74259), a letter carrier in Devonport on enlistment. He was part of the 38th Reinforcement Medical Corps that left on the Remuera 5th June 1918 for Liverpool, England. Wood was finally discharged 24 October 1919, after having served in New Zealand and overseas.

Sadly Private Milton Wood, is yet another WWI soldier we have not included previously in the Thames Register, if anyone knows of any others, please can you let me know, or contact Kae via The Treasury.
Totara Memorial Cemetery RSAL Plot 0423

Mr Lewis Milton Wood passed away 23 August 1991 at Thames and has a plaque in the RSA section of the Totara Memorial Park Cemetery.

Out of interest, just north of the main section of Whakatete Bay where Mr Milton Wood lived, was Wood's Bay. The family owned houses in the bay, and hence the small beach and cove became known by the family name.

ABOVE: 1920s view of Wood's Bay. BELOW: Google maps view of the bay 2013.